I have been learning a lot here lately about editing. Unlike most of what I have done before or thought I learned, this is all based on advice from other Authors. (You know who you are.)
Thank you writing community.
I’m going to make a list of all the things I’ve learned that I need more of. So far I’ve only dipped my toe in the waters but I need to just jump in.
- POV – needs to remain consistent
- Inner Monologue – inner thoughts of POV character
- Dialogue Tags -who’s talking
- Actions – leaning, putting on seat belt, walking
- Reaction – shaking, trembling, heart racing
- Contractions – he’s, he’ll
- Texture – bumpy, smooth, rough
- Back Story – thing leading character here, relative things in past
- Emotion – how the character feels
- Smell – alluring, unappealing
- Description – what things are, what things look like
- Sound – noise, ambiance
- Taste – salty, sweet, sour
- Narration – more story telling through the narrator
- Continuity – blue eyes need to stay blue unless something happens to change it like contacts or magic
I need less of this.
- Names in Dialogue – unnatural sounding
- Dialogue – if it can be narrated, narrate it
- Text Talk -only things everyone would understand
Make’s you wonder what my 50,000 words were before. Apparently, a very detailed outline. Lol!